MICRONEEDLING WITH PRP TREATMENT
For patients looking for a practical, non-invasive way to reverse the visible effects of aging, an increasingly popular option is microneedling in Charlotte. Microneedling, also known as collagen-induction therapy (CIT), is used to tighten, lift, and rejuvenate the skin, producing an overall more youthful appearance. This procedure has advanced considerably just in the last few years and can even be paired with PRP (platelet-rich plasma) injections to increase its efficacy.
What Is Microneedling?
Charlotte Plastic Surgery is excited to offer our patients the opportunity to rejuvenate their skin with minimal down time and expense. This procedure is done in a series of three to five treatments spaced four to six weeks apart. A handheld needling device is used to make tiny punctures in the skin, creating a micro-injury that encourages the body’s healing ability to produce new, healthy skin. Microneedling works for all skin types, and many of our patients have seen great results from it.
The Benefits of Microneedling
There are a number of cosmetic effects that clients can anticipate from microneedling. Microneedling can:
- Tighten, lift, and rejuvenate skin
- Reduce the visibility of acne scars, surgical scars, and other scars
- Minimize wrinkles and fine lines
- Mask or reduce the appearance of stretch marks
- Improve overall texture especially for aged or damaged skin
Included with each of treatment is a complimentary skin health consultation where a customized program is designed specifically for your needs and concerns. Our skin care specialists will work with you to ensure a treatment that addresses your particular needs and goals.
What is Microneedling with PRP?
One of the ways in which microneedling has advanced in recent years is through the addition of PRP. Charlotte Plastic Surgery now offers this treatment.
PRP stands for platelet-rich plasma, and its addition is taking our microneedling treatments to the next level. It works by using your own growth factors to transform fine lines, wrinkles, acne scars, hyper pigmentation, and many other concerns associated with aging skin.
Here’s what the process involves, in brief. Your blood contains red cells, white cells, and platelets. The platelets contain hundreds of proteins called growth factors which are very important for healing injury, especially to the surface layers of the skin. For a PRP treatment, your blood is spun down in a centrifuge to separate the platelet rich plasma from the blood cells. The plasma is then applied to your skin during a microneedling treatment. In other words, part of your blood, hyper-concentrated with these growth factors, is injected back into the body.
Microneedling with PRP can be used for a number of concerns, including:
- Large pores
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Acne scars and stretch marks
- Age spots, hyperpigmentation, and melasma
- Crepey or rough skin texture
By creating tiny punctures in the skin with small needles, your body’s own natural healing process kicks in to repair the skin, stimulating the creation of new collagen. When we add PRP (platelet rich plasma) into the equation, the healing process gets a boost thanks to the hundreds of human growth factors aiding in recovery.
What to Expect from Your Treatment
As you consider microneedling in Charlotte with PRP, here is what you might expect from the process.
- Your face is numbed with a topical numbing cream so that you’re completely comfortable
- Your blood is drawn and spun in a centrifuge to isolate the human growth factors
- The platelet-rich plasma is applied topically to your skin during and after your microneedling treatment
- Leftover or remaining plasma may also be injected into the skin to target specific areas that need concentrated treatment, such as the nasolabial folds (or parenthesis) around the mouth
- Your skin may feel tight afterwards and be red to pink for 1 to 3 days
PRP became popular a few years ago – you may have seen pictures online of celebrities with blood-covered faces receiving a “vampire facial.” However, the use of PRP has gone through a number of advancements since then and the process is more refined than ever before. Now, instead of applying whole blood to the skin, only the platelet-rich plasma full of human growth factors is used on the face. PRP can also be injected into the skin to help boost collagen production in areas that may be hollow, sagging, or showing other signs of aging. Some of the most frequently injected areas are under the eyes and around the mouth and nose.
The Benefits of Adding PRP to Microneedling for Charlotte
There are a number of benefits to combining PRP with microneedling—including:
- Significantly repairs the condition of your skin with potent human-growth factors
- Minimally-invasive treatment means minimal downtime (red to pink for 1 to 3 days)
- No foreign substances: your own blood, your own growth factors, your own healing-process
- Practically painless and very comfortable thanks to topical numbing
- Your skin will look better afterwards and over time; it offers long-lasting results and collagen growth
Is Microneedling with PRP Right for You?
As with any cosmetic procedure, it’s important to meet with a provider to discuss whether it’s a good option for you. During this consultation, you’ll get to speak directly and privately with one of our skilled providers in a relaxed, comfortable setting. We’ll explain the process, answer any questions you may have, and ensure that the proper expectations are set. If microneedling isn’t the best option for meeting your goals, we may recommend some alternative solutions as well.
Another key aspect of the consultation is that it allows us to ensure you are in good health before this procedure. While the risks of microneedling are minimal, patient safety is still our top priority.
Learn More About Microneedling from Charlotte Plastic Surgery
For those looking for an effective way to look and feel more youthful—minimizing the presence of wrinkles, fine lines, scars, and stretch marks—microneedling is an exciting option, and well worth considering.
Charlotte Plastic Surgery has long been a leading name in cosmetic treatments for women and men throughout the region. Our providers are always available to consult with you on microneedling or any other treatment you’re interested in.
To learn more about microneedling in Charlotte, or to determine whether you’re a good candidate, we invite you to call us today and schedule a consultation.