The beauty of feeling a life form within the protection, nourishment and love of your own body is an experience unlike any other. However, everyone’s body is different and the effects of a pregnancy differ from woman to woman. The obvious go-to for many new mothers is exercise when it comes to working on problem areas on their bodies after giving birth. But it’s important to note that in some cases, exercise will not put the muscles in your body that were shifted during pregnancy back to where they belong.
But that’s where Mommy Makeovers come in. A mommy makeover is a surgery or surgeries that focus on restoring and invigorating a woman’s body so that she can look and feel more like she did prior to her pregnancy or giving birth.
After giving the gift of new life, it’s important for mothers to give back to their bodies and that’s exactly what the mommy makeover is designed to do. This Charlotte plastic surgery trend has been key in helping new moms all over the area feel sexy, confident and youthful once more. In our latest video feature on mommy makeovers, Dr. Stephan J. Finical of Charlotte Plastic Surgery highlights how expert physicians, modern medicine and technology all collaborate to help enhance the results of these procedures for new moms.
The power of mommy makeovers blends the boundaries of mind and body. While you and your physician address physical areas on your body that need work as a result of pregnancy, you also work towards a more positive self-image and understanding of yourself. Feeling more invigorated, we notice patients going out into the world with a refreshed lens on life. By improving the quality of interactions you have with people around you, you can improve the quality of your life.
Types of Mommy Makeover Procedures
- Breast Lift
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Implants
- Tummy Tuck
- Lower Body Lift
Benefits of Mommy Makeover
- Individualized. Reduce areas of excess fat, eliminate extra skin that may be causing sagging, or tighten the abdominal muscles. The beauty of a mommy makeover is that it can be tailored to fit an individual’s needs, opposed to being a predetermined series of procedures. Every woman’s body is different, but one thing new moms can share is focusing on regaining shape through specific procedures tailored for you, no matter what you’re dealing with after your pregnancy.
- Self-Esteem. This is considerably the biggest benefit of mommy makeovers. You don’t have to feel heavy, helpless or “outside of yourself” any longer. With a shift in your appearance, you can recreate yourself and start anew so to speak. These procedures help you look as good on the outside as you feel on the inside.
- Recovery. Opposed to the past, when patients could only get one cosmetic surgery procedure done at a time, now the patient experience is much faster. With the ability to get multiple procedures done at the same time, you can significantly cut down on recovery time and discomfort.
Mommy Makeover FAQ’s
Here’s a sample of the questions our experts hear most often when it comes to mommy makeovers:
When is a good time for a mommy makeover?
- When you have completed childbearing and have returned to a stable weight is the time we recommend to undergo your mommy makeover. Excessive weight gain or loss can have drastic effects on the final result of your procedures, so you want to be in a place of physical stability before starting your mommy makeover journey.
What risks are associated with mommy makeovers?
- These types of surgeries are no different from other major operations. Risks include bleeding, seroma formation (fluid collection), wound healing and infection.
What can I expect after surgery?
- This is entirely dependent on the types of surgeries you undergo. Breast and abdominal procedures require longer recovery times, so your post-surgery experience can range from leaving the same day as your surgery, to staying over the night for cases of more extensive surgery.
How long is the recovery time?
- Our Charlotte plastic surgery team strongly urges having family or friends available to assist you in caring for your child and daily tasks after your surgery. You will need rest, as recovery spans from one to four weeks on average.
Mommy Makeover Innovation According to Charlotte Plastic Surgery
With the continuous stream of improvements to both technology and medicine within the medical arena, mommy makeover procedures are better than ever before. In Charlotte Plastic Surgery’s video spotlight on mommy makeovers, Dr. Stephan J. Finical explains how the breakthrough of three products in particular is ushering in a new era of mommy makeovers, where patients get a better idea of the end result prior to surgery, recovery time is quicker and less painful overall. These products include:
- Vectra. This is a state-of-the-art 3D camera which allows both doctors and patients to get a clear idea of size differences to the breasts before and after a procedure. Whether the patient seeks a breast lift or a breast augmentation, this tool significantly enhances the patient experience by providing simulations of what the end result will be.
- Exparel. Also known as “Bupivacaine Liposome Injectable Suspension,” this serves as a long lasting local anesthetic. Now patients are much more comfortable moving around after surgery. Not only that, but this agent helps decrease narcotic use post-surgery. Narcotics are known for making patients nauseous or dizzy, so depending on the procedure you choose, being nauseous or dizzy could have detrimental effects to your recovery.
- Scar Recovery Gel. Youthful skin appearance is huge with our clients. We understand that after you get a procedure done, the last thing you want is any scaring to highlight where your procedure took place. Now there’s scar recovery gel created by the team at SkinMedica. This topical gel works to actively stop inflammation and tension in the skin while working as a moisture barrier for healing skin.
Seek a Trusted Charlotte Plastic Surgeon
Here at Charlotte Plastic Surgery, we believe your pre-birth body is not something you have to say goodbye to forever once you decide to welcome additions into your family. Regardless of whether you’re a mother or not, you deserve to feel good for your own well being. With steady advancements to how we practice mommy makeover cosmetic procedures, there’s a promising future for female body sculpting of today!
Let us know if you liked this post!