Most of us would like to maintain a youthful appearance – but sooner or later, the effects of aging catch up with us. One of the first places you’ll notice this is on your face. Over time, your skin loses its elasticity, which means you may develop jowling, deep wrinkles, or a “sagging” appearance around your jawline and neck. Of course, this is very much at odds with the desire to appear young and vibrant.
The good news is that, if you’re wondering how to make your face look younger, there are a great number of options available. These include both surgical and non-surgical interventions. In this post, we’ll take a look at both avenues.
How to Make Your Face Look Younger with Surgical Facial Plastic Surgery
First, we’ll consider how to make your face look younger via surgery.
The most common way to alter your face via surgery is with a facelift. In this procedure, the surgeon will make small incisions, usually behind the ears or around the hairline. Then, the surgeon will be able to lift the skin and pull up on the deep facial tissue and muscle. The surgeon will reposition the skin and, if necessary, eliminate any excess, loose skin. The overall effect is to address the jowls, reduce sagging, and minimize the appearance of creases and deep lines.
The facelift can be done in either a traditional version, or the less invasive “mini facelift.” A mini facelift will have smaller scars and a shorter recovery time, though it may also have less dramatic results. To learn which procedure is best for you and your aesthetic goals, we recommend scheduling a one-on-one consultation with a surgeon.
Facelifts and mini facelifts are primarily designed to change the appearance of the lower half of your face. If you want to have changes made to your eyes, eyebrows, or forehead, there are additional procedures that can accommodate those needs. The best way to learn about these procedures is, again, to consult with one of our surgeons. Note that you can always have additional procedures done at the same time as your facelift, meaning you only have to go under anesthesia once to address concerns for the entire face.
It’s important to note that any facial surgery is going to come with some down time, and likely with a few days of swelling or bruising. Most patients find that the results are well worth it, but if you’re curious about how to make your face look younger without surgery, we can offer a few suggestions.
How to Make Your Face Look Younger without Surgery
There are several practical steps you can take to preserve your youthful appearance without the need for any kind of surgical intervention.
- Make sure you’re wearing sunscreen every single day, whether inside or out. Are you looking to avoid age spots, wrinkles, and fine lines? One of the primary causes of these imperfections is cumulative exposure to UV rays. You can maintain your youthful complexion by making sure you are consistent with your sunscreen use.
- Get plenty of sleep at night. Remember the old saying about needing to get your beauty sleep? It’s not a myth. Your body needs time to go into self-healing mode. If you want to maintain healthy, supple skin, it’s critical to get at least six to eight hours of sleep per night.
- Eat a nutritious diet. Note that we didn’t advise maintaining a strict diet, or feeling like you’re constantly starved. Actually, it’s important to provide your body with plenty of healthy fats, like the kind you get from olive oil or avocados, as well as protein and a healthy array of vitamins and minerals. Your skin won’t stay strong or firm if you don’t give it the right nourishment.
- Drink plenty of water, too; not just during the dog days of summer, but throughout the year. Staying hydrated is the only way to keep your skin from becoming dry, brittle, and cracked.
- Manage your stress. Stress isn’t just a mental health concern. It can have an impact on your physical body, too, including the quality of your skin. Make sure you have some healthy activities to help you combat stress, whether that’s hitting the gym, doing yoga, or going for a massage.
These are just a few of the important steps you can take to preserve the youthfulness of your skin, including the skin on your face. One more topic to explore? The importance of a consistent skincare routine.
Consistent Skincare Routine
For anyone wondering how to make your face look younger, there’s no denying the importance of a good skincare routine.
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer for those seeking the best skincare protocols. It depends on your skin type and your age, among other factors. As such, there may be enormous value to meeting with a skincare professional who can analyze your skin, recommend some particular products or treatments, and help you build a custom skincare routine. For more about this, we’ll point you to The Skin Center by CPS; reach out to make an appointment at your next opportunity.
Generally speaking, though, it’s recommended that you have a daily skincare routine that hits on each of these items, and in this order:
- Antioxidant serums and eye creams
- Spot treatment
At night, you might cleanse again, then use any additional serums, eye creams, or nighttime moisturizers that are part of your routine.
Learn More About How to Make Your Face Look Younger
If you’re zealous to maintain a youthful, lustrous appearance for your face, there are steps you can take today. Make sure you’re checking all the boxes to take care of your skin, and that you have a consistent skincare routine that you follow.
If you’d like to take the next steps toward a younger countenance, we invite you to learn a little more about surgical options, including having a facelift performed.
To schedule a consultation with one of our facelift surgeons, contact the offices of Charlotte Plastic Surgery at your next convenience. We’re always happy to talk with you about how to look and feel like your best self.
Let us know if you liked this post!