About CoolSculpting®: Fat Reduction
CoolSculpting® is an FDA-cleared fat reduction treatment that basically “freezes” targeted fat cells away using cryolipolysis. The process involves applying controlled cool temperatures to specific areas. Scientific studies have shown that CoolSculpting® can reduce fat by approximately 20-25%.
Benefits of CoolSculpting®:
- FDA-cleared to reduce fat in nine different areas of the body
- Since it is a non-invasive procedure, there is no downtime like a surgical procedure would require
- Only takes 35 – 75 minutes, depending on the areas treated
- Reduces fat cells in targeted areas by 20-25% per treatment
- Most patients see the intended results within one or two treatment sessions
- Results emerge over eight to twelve weeks as the body processes the destroyed fat cells
The results are permanent since the cells are destroyed. However, it is possible to gain additional body fat through overeating, so maintaining your weight is a big part of maintaining the results long-term.
Strong candidates for CoolSculpting® include people who are:
- Aged 18 or older
- Don’t have a medical condition that would disqualify you
- Want to eliminate unwanted body fat in one of the nine treatment areas
The areas that CoolSculpting® is cleared to treat include:
- Love handles, flanks, or muffin top
- Abdomen or belly area
- Inner thighs and outer thighs
- Underneath the chin, also known as the double chin
- The bra area
- The back
- The “banana roll” underneath the buttocks
- Upper arms
- Below the jawline
Talk with your provider about your goals, there are sometimes off-label uses, or another treatment may even be even better.
Common side effects of CoolSculpting® include:
- A pulling or tugging sensation during the procedure
- Temporary swelling, bruising, or discoloration
- Increased skin sensitivity
- Talk with your provider to learn more since there are rare possible side effects that vary depending on risk factors
CoolSculpting® is often a good option for people who just have an area or two where they retain extra body fat that diet and exercise don’t seem to touch. The successful treatment permanently alters the proportions as some of the extra fat in the target area is destroyed.
About Emsculpt: Toning and Fat loss
Emsculpt is also an FDA-cleared treatment and targets the area on two fronts – fat and muscle tone. This treatment option reduces fat while also stimulating muscles using High-Intensity Focused Electromagnetic energy (often called HIFEM).
The electrical stimulation forces the targeted muscle to contract to 100% and hold the contraction for up to six seconds. In many ways, it is like doing a super-charged workout. A single 30-minute session is equivalent to doing 20,000 repetitions of bodyweight exercises like squats or crunches. Some patients report that they feel like they completed a vigorous workout when the session is over.
Benefits of Emsculpt:
- FDA cleared for muscle toning
- Non-invasive involving no surgery or injections
- According to Emsculpt’s website, it is clinically backed by seven independent clinical studies
- The results are equivalent to doing 20,000 repetitions of an exercise like crunches, squats, etc.
- No downtime; many find it feels pretty equivalent to an intense workout
Strong candidates for EmSculpt may fit the following criteria:
- Aged 18 or older
- Have a BMI of 30 or less
- Be generally healthy without disqualifying medical issues
- Want to build muscle tone and lose fat in the buttocks, stomach, legs, or upper arm
Talk with your provider about the specifics of your situation. The common side effect of EmSculpt is muscle soreness, similar to an intense workout. Discuss less common side effects with your provider since they may be related to specific individual risk factors.
Emsculpt vs. CoolSculpting®: Which is Right for You?
CoolSculpting® remains the gold standard in nonsurgical fat reduction. However, since the two techniques work differently, they benefit different people. For example, if your goals involve toning the muscles, then Emsculpt may be a better option.
Always inform your doctor about any health issues, medications, and medical devices you use. For example, Emsculpt may not be appropriate and even dangerous for people who use pacemakers. Your provider is an expert in these and other treatment options and will be given suggestions about any alternatives that may better suit you.
Both treatments are best for people who are at or reasonably close to their healthy weight range. During your consultation, inform your cosmetic professional about any medical conditions, allergies, sensitivities, supplements you take, your skincare routine, and medications. Answer any questions since there may be factors that make any specific procedure riskier for you.
Remember, the goal is always to identify the options that offer you the best outcome and results. With so many noninvasive and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures, there may be yet another option that would be a better choice for you.
Next Steps: Schedule Your Consultation
Your first step to body contouring is a consultation with one of our Certified Master CoolSculpting® Technicians at The Skin Center by CPS. At this appointment, you will share your goals and hopes with a professional and learn about your options. Most likely, you will see before and after photographs to get an idea of what kind of results to expect.
The Skin Center by CPS offers today’s top non-surgical cosmetic treatments. As part of the Charlotte Plastic Surgery family, we are part of a brand Charlotte residents have trusted for nearly 70 years. Contact us today to schedule your consultation appointment.
We offer financing for CoolSculpting®
Let us know if you liked this post!