We have all heard our parents encourage us to wear sunscreen, whether it’s a sunny day or not. Or maybe we are now the parent chasing after our kids with the bottle of sunscreen. What else can we do to protect our skin this summer? Our board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Kevin Smith, was on WBTV and Good Day Charlotte on FOX46 to share his pro-tips with all of us.
For those of you who may be wondering, “How bad can my skin really be since I wash my face, moisturize, and apply sunscreen every day?” Dr. Smith shows us the only true way of knowing the state of your skin is by looking underneath the surface with a VISIA Skin Scanner.
- The VISIA Skin Scanner is an incredibly strong camera that allows you to see deep within the skin, revealing damage that you may not realize is hiding under the surface. It provides a computerized analysis of the skin so you can see what needs to be addressed (such as broken capillaries, sun damage, clogged pores, wrinkles, etc.) and measures the effectiveness of your treatments by tracking your skin’s progress.
Seem scary? Not at all! It’s a painless and quick scan that can help you learn more about what your skin needs to either reverse existing sun damage or ensure we are using the correct products to protect our skin from further damage. Dr. Smith also recommends a few products that can help correct and protect our skin this summer.
- SkinMedica’s Total Defense & Repair: lightweight, non-greasy formula feels great under makeup, broad spectrum means it protects not only against UVA, UVB but also infrared rays and heat which cause the most cellular damage, comes in tinted and non-tinted versions, also has reparative anti-aging properties that help heal your skin from previous sun damage, has been shown to help minimize fine lines when used regularly.
- Sunforgettable by ColorScience is perfect for those of us who have forget to reapply sunblock. This SPF 50 loose mineral powder will not only provide broad spectrum coverage, but it’s also water resistant up to 80 minutes. The product has a built-in application brush so it’s easy to take with you and brush right over your makeup – no fuss and no mess!
- SkinMedica’s HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator not only provides 8 hours of hydration to the skin, but it also helps train your cells to hold onto more moisture over time, making your skin retain its youthful appearance. It’s oil free, comes out matte on the skin, can be applied over makeup, is a great makeup primer (was used backstage by makeup artists at New York’s Fashion Week for runway models), and visibly softens fine lines & wrinkles within the first 15 minutes.
- SkinMedica’s Dermal Repair Cream is a moisturizer that helps replenish hydration in the skin without being too heavy. Contains the highest levels of lipid-soluble antioxidant vitamins C and E, helps repair sun-damage and reduce age spots, rehydrates, conditions, and firms the skin, encourages skin’s ability to repair and rehydrate itself, and provides protection against environmental aggressors
You can purchase any of these amazing summer skin care products at our Uptown or Ballantyne locations. And if you’re interested in experiencing your own complimentary VISIA skin analysis with one of our talented and skilled skin specialists, call us at 704-372-6846.