You may not be able to control gravity or time, but here at Charlotte Plastic Surgery, now you can control their effects. Multiple pregnancies, loss of skin elasticity due to aging, loss of breast volume and gravity are all factors that cause breasts to lose their shape and firmness. A breast lift, or mastopexy, is a procedure performed to elevate and reshape sagging breasts and reposition the nipples to a more desirable location. The procedure can also reduce the size of the areola, the darker skin surrounding the nipple. If you’re looking to lift and add volume, breast augmentation can also be performed at the same time. To learn more about the procedure in greater detail and the results you can expect, please schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our surgeons.
- Length: 2-3 hours.
- Anesthesia: General (asleep).
- In/outpatient: Outpatient.
- Side effects: Temporary bruising, swelling, discomfort, numbness and dry breast skin. Permanent scars.
- Risks: With any surgery, risks such as infection and blood clot exist. Our surgeons will always talk with you about potential risks specific to your procedures in your consultation. Other risks may include scarring, unevenly positioned nipples, permanent loss of feeling in nipples or breast.
- Recovery: Back to work: one week or more. Strenuous activities: one month. Fading of scars: several months to a year.
- Duration of results: Variable. Gravity, pregnancy, aging and weight changes may cause new sagging. In some patients, breast implants or other types of breast surgery may be placed in conjunction with a breast lift to enhance results.