Stephan J. Finical, M.D.
Although Dr. Finical is a renowned plastic surgeon, he also considers himself a teacher. He values the personal attention and face-to-face conversations he has with his patients as he educates them on what to look for in a plastic surgeon, what exactly will happen during the procedure, what results patients can expect to achieve and anything else they are concerned about.
“An educated patient is the best patient. I don’t gloss over options, alternatives or risks. All of my patients hear that. We work as a team,” says Dr. Finical.
It’s important for Dr. Finical that his patients understand his level of experience and that they see results he’s achieved for other similar patients. He does a lot of listening to understand what his patients really want. Dr. Finical explains, “Patients will tell you explicitly and implicitly what they need, and if you listen long and well enough – you get it.” That’s a big part of making sure patients’ expectations are exceeded.
He’s also very proud of the Ritz-Carlton training Charlotte Plastic Surgery has undergone. Going above and beyond to make patients feel more comfortable and at home is vital to the philosophy of all the doctors at Charlotte Plastic Surgery.
“Plastic surgery is unique among medical specialties. Everyone assesses the outcomes; success is visual and apparent, not based on statistics and long-term follow-up. The most rewarding aspect of plastic surgery is the happy patient. Regardless of what procedure they have, seeing a satisfied post-operative surgery patient is tremendously gratifying.”
A native of Mansfield, Ohio, Dr. Finical enjoys sports, reading and traveling. He and his wife Maryallys have two children, and they enjoy activities they can participate in as a family.
- Undergraduate: Ohio Wesleyan University (Magna Cum Laude honors graduate)
- Medical School: Georgetown University
- General surgery residency at Georgetown University
- Plastic surgery residency at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota
- Member of the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Medical Society
- Phi Beta Kappa academic honor society
- Fellowship at the Oregon Health Science University in Portland, Oregon
- Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Surgery Subspecialty Teacher of the Year Award in 2000 from Mayo Graduate School of Medicine
- Member of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the American College of Surgeons (FACS), the American Medical Association, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery among many others
- Guest editor of “Clinics in Plastic Surgery” and a writer of questions for the plastic surgeon’s in-training exam for ten years
- On staff at the Mayo Clinic in the Division of Plastic Surgery prior to joining Charlotte Plastic Surgery
- Clinical professor of Plastic Surgery at University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill
- Published in numerous peer-reviewed journals